Kendal Rugby Union Football Club was established over 100 years ago and has been on the present Ground at Mint Bridge since 1927. The facilities at Mint Bridge are held in Trust by a Group of Trustees, the Trust Document ensuring that rugby will be played at Mint Bridge, or at an alternative local site in perpetuity.
In 2003 by virtue of a decision of an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Club, the Club formed itself into a Company Limited by Guarantee to be governed by a Board of Directors and a Company Secretary. This did not in any way alter the status of the Trustees and their protection of the Trust Deed. The Board of Directors carry out the day to day running of the Club, being answerable to the Annual General Meeting of the Club.
The Board consists of seven Directors, the maximum allowed under the Articles and Memorandum of the Company, and a Company Secretary. Two Directors stand down at each Annual General Meeting, although are available for re-election if put forward. The Directors are appointed by voting of Members at the Annual Meeting, and the Chairman is appointed by the Board of Directors. In the event of there being fewer Directors on the Board than the maximum allowed under the Articles and Memorandum of the Company, the Board may co-opt a Director(s) onto the Board to the maximum allowed, such co-option to be ratified by the following Annual Meeting.
Each of the Directors holds a portfolio, and the current Board and their respective portfolios are as follows:-
- Chairman - Dr Stephen Green (Stephen also holds responsibilities for medical matters and Health and Safety)
- Finance Director - Mike Miller (Looks after the clubs accounts helped by Joyce Miller)
- House and Grounds Director - Bert Boardley (Bert is responsible for all activities dealing with the maintenance, improvement of the ground, buildings, and fixtures and fittings at the Club
- Director of Rugby - Mark Wood (Mark is responsible for everything to do with the playing sides at the Club including Seniors, Juniors and Ladies)
- RFU Liaison Director - Roger Wilson (Roger deals with all liaison matters with Twickenham, and all local and national Clubs, including Fixtures and registration. He also advises on Grant Funding opportunities for the Club)
- Sales Director - Richard Berrie (Richard is responsible for Sponsorship for the Club, for the success of the bar and Catering Contract, and for Club Membership)
- Marketing Director - Alistair Sanderson (Alistair is responsible for Marketing the club and helps Richard with the running of the bar and catering contracts.)
- Company Secretary - Fraser Rae (Advises and supports the Board to ensure the Club runs efficiently, and to ensure that the Company operates in compliance with the Companies Act
In addition to the Board, the Club is run through several Sub-Committees dealing which deal with Sales and Marketing, Social, House and Grounds and Rugby matters, and these Sub-Committees are made up by Club Volunteers with a Board Member sitting on each Sub-Committee. The Sub-Committees report to the Board through Minutes which are considered at monthly Board Meetings. As well as the Board and the Sub-Committees, there is a raft of Volunteers who do invaluable service on a multitude of tasks without which the Club would not function.
On the Sales Marketing and Social side of the Club this Group is responsible for generating all the Club’s income including bar, catering, sponsorship, Membership and gate receipts, although the last two items have a direct bearing on success on the playing fields.
On the Rugby side the Club currently runs 3 Senior Teams and 3 Junior Teams with a fourth Junior side about to start. There is also a Ladies Section in early stages of formation. There is a Coaching structure within the Club where each of the sides has the benefit of Coaching Staff. There is also a Team of two Physiotherapists who attend at all training Sessions and Matches.
The Club also has several Honorary Positions, the major one being the Club President, the appointment of whom is approved by the Board and the Annual Meeting. The current President of the Club is Roger Wilson. In addition to this there are several Honorary Life Members of the Club who are awarded the Honour for outstanding services to the Club. Running in parallel to the Club Structure is a strong Supporters Club which through its Members’ financial contributions is able to provide additional and much needed financial assistance to the Club. The Supporters Club has provided contributions in the past for things such as floodlights, players medical needs and grounds maintenance. This valuable contribution is gratefully acknowledged by the Board.